Owning a pet can add a lot value to your life — companionship, cuddles, laughter, even increased exercise, to call just a number of advantages. But being a pet parent can even add to your household expenses, particularly in case your four-legged member of the family has an unexpected accident, illness or injury.
So long as your pet qualifies, pet insurance is a financially responsible strategy to protect each your pet and your wallet if expensive emergency veterinarian care is required. To make it easier to select the proper provider, we on the Home Media reviews team conducted extensive research on pet insurance firms and chosen our top recommendations. We’ve got narrowed down that list of best pet insurance firms here to deal with those serving Virginia.
Virginia’s 7 Top Pet Insurance Firms
Try one of the best pet insurance providers for Virginia pet owners:
Coverage and value: Lemonade’s standard pet insurance policy covers treatment for each accidents and illnesses. Coverage includes heart disease, hip dysplasia, cancer, skin conditions, broken bones and sprains, amongst other issues. As well as, the usual plan will reimburse you a portion of the associated fee for diagnostics like X-rays and ultrasounds related to your pet’s previously undiagnosed illness or accidental emergency. Outpatient procedures and surgeries requiring hospitalization and prescription medication are also covered.
Lemonade offers an optional add-on for vet visit fees. The extra coverage varies in price depending on where you reside. For instance, in Richmond, Va., it might cost roughly $6 monthly so as to add vet visits to a basic coverage package.
Additional preventive care is on the market in three tiers, starting from $16 to $24 monthly. These cover wellness exams, some vaccinations, fecal and heartworm tests, dental cleanings and other routine checkups. The corporate also offers a comprehensive preventive care plan designed specifically for puppies and kittens that helps offset the associated fee of spaying/neutering, vaccinations, and flea, tick and heartworm prevention.
Using Lemonade’s online tool, quotes to cover adult mixed-breed pets in Richmond are as follows:
- Dogs: $24–$48 monthly
- Cats: $18–$34 monthly
The quotes above are based on a policy with a $5,000 annual coverage cap, $250 deductible and 80% reimbursement rate. As with most pet insurance firms, Lemonade’s list of exclusions includes preexisting conditions or any elective procedures.
Lemonade is currently involved in a class-action lawsuit regarding its alleged collection and storage of biometric data. Nonetheless, we still consider Lemonade to be a good pet insurance provider. You possibly can read more details in our Lemonade review.
To learn more: Lemonade pet insurance review
Get a quote: Take Lemonade’s quick questionnaire to get a free pet insurance quote.
Coverage and value: Spot is a superb option for pet parents who wish to create a more customized solution for pet health care. The corporate offers seven annual caps starting from $2,500 to unlimited on its accident-only and accident-and-illness coverage options. The Accident-Only Plan provides coverage for emergency accidents resembling broken bones, bite wounds and poison ingestion. As well as, the plan will partially reimburse you for each diagnostic (resembling X-rays and ultrasounds) and treatment procedures related to your dog or cat’s unexpected injury.
Spot’s Accident and Illness Plan is more comprehensive, including the whole lot covered within the Accident-Only Plan together with vet visits, diagnostics, surgeries and hospitalizations related to diseases and conditions like diabetes, arthritis, thyroid problems, urinary tract infections and cancer. This plan also reimburses pet owners for alternative treatments resembling chiropractic care, hydrotherapy and acupuncture. Unlike Lemonade, Spot also includes behavioral issues like anxiety and aggression in its Accident and Illness Plan.
It can be crucial to notice that, while the plan covers hereditary and congenital conditions like heart disease, eye disorders and hip dysplasia, Spot, like most pet insurance providers, won’t pay for any conditions diagnosed before the beginning of your policy.
Spot has two optional preventive care packages: the Gold Plan and the Platinum Plan. Each cover wellness-related expenses resembling annual vet exam fees, some vaccinations and fecal and heartworm tests. The difference between the 2 plans is the annual cap on preventive treatments. The Gold Plan, which costs about $10 extra monthly, has a $250 annual limit, while the Platinum Plan has a $450 cap at a price of roughly $25 more monthly.
The estimated cost for Spot’s Accident-Only Plan for adult mixed-breed dogs and cats in Richmond is as follows:
- Dogs: $33.96 monthly
- Cats: $19.12 monthly
The costs above are based on a $5,000 policy with a $250 deductible and an 80% reimbursement rate.
To learn more: Spot Pet Insurance review
Get a quote: Visit Spot Pet Insurance’s website for a free insurance quote in your pet.
Coverage and value: For pet parents searching for an economical but comprehensive care plan, Embrace could also be a very good solution. Like many providers in our review, Embrace gives you a ten% discount once you enroll a couple of pet. Moreover, the corporate gives a 5% discount to energetic and retired military and a ten% discount as a part of its worker advantages program. If the corporate you’re employed for participates in this system, you’re eligible for the savings.
Upon enrollment with Embrace, the corporate will fastidiously review your pet’s vet records and discover any preexisting conditions for which you won’t receive reimbursement. Do you have to determine the coverage shouldn’t be extensive enough on your needs, you’ve gotten 30 days after enrollment to cancel your policy and receive a full refund. Embrace also reduces deductibles by $50 every year you don’t file a claim.
Embrace’s standard plan covers accidents and illnesses in addition to exams and procedures related to accidental emergencies, diseases and hereditary conditions. Its optional Wellness Rewards plan provides full reimbursement of routine veterinary care, including all grooming needs. Customers can select a $250, $450 or $650 annual limit for the Wellness Rewards plan.
We received the next estimated price ranges for coverage of adult mixed-breed dogs and cats in Richmond with a $5,000 coverage cap, 80% reimbursement rate and $300 deductible:
- Dogs: $51–$103 monthly
- Cats: $25–$77 monthly
The bottom price reflects a base plan estimate, while the best price is a base plan plus an optional Wellness Rewards plan with a $650 limit.
To learn more: Embrace Pet Insurance review
Get a quote: To learn how much it might cost to cover your pet, fill out Embrace’s online form.
Coverage and value: Healthy Paws stands out for its unlimited coverage caps at reasonably priced prices. Although Spot, Figo and Embrace have plans with unlimited annual limits, they’re costlier than Healthy Paws’ premium rates. Moreover, Healthy Paws’ unlimited coverage cap extends beyond an annual plan to the lifetime of your pet while covered under one in all its pet insurance policies.
Healthy Paws offers one standard plan covering each accidents and illnesses and related care. These include cancer, hereditary and congenital conditions, broken bones, sprains and bite wounds. Nonetheless, the corporate doesn’t have optional preventive care packages, and it is proscribed in its coverage of hip dysplasia, a standard ailment amongst cats and dogs. Healthy Paws will only cover hip dysplasia for pets 6 years of age and younger and won’t provide that coverage for the primary 12 months of your policy. After 12 months, the corporate may cover the condition following an intensive veterinary examination. Healthy Paws also doesn’t provide coverage for spaying/neutering, office visits or examinations.
Average monthly rates for adult mixed-breed pets in Richmond on plans with unlimited caps, a $250 deductible and 80% reimbursement rate are as follows:
- Dogs: $34.66 monthly
- Cats: $14.71 monthly
To learn more: Healthy Paws Pet Insurance review
Get a quote: Fill out Healthy Paws’ online form for a free pet insurance policy quote.
Coverage and value: Figo has a versatile reimbursement rate with each of its three plans. Customers can go for a 70%, 80%, 90% or 100% rate on the corporate’s Essential, Preferred and Ultimate plans. While other providers on our list offer reimbursement within the range of 70%–90%, Figo is the just one with a full reimbursement option.
Figo’s plans cover veterinary expenses from illnesses and accidents, including prescription medications, surgeries and diagnostic testing. Chronic and hereditary or congenital conditions are also included, provided they weren’t diagnosed before the beginning of your policy. Figo’s plans vary of their annual coverage cap amounts. Those amounts are as follows:
- Essential: $5,000
- Preferred: $10,000
- Ultimate: unlimited
Figo provides optional preventive care through its Extra Care Pack. The add-on plan pays as much as $150 for a lost or stolen pet and $250 for burial costs in case your pet passes away during your policy term.
Along with round the clock access to veterinarians, Figo’s mobile app can provide reminders of routine pet care, resembling annual shots. The app also has a social feature, allowing you to attach with other pet parents in your community.
Using Figo’s online quote tool, the associated fee to cover adult mixed-breed pets in Richmond under the Essential Plan is as follows:
- Dogs: $38.86 monthly
- Cats: $20.57 monthly
Get a quote: Take Figo’s temporary questionnaire to receive a quote on your Figo Pet Insurance plan.
Coverage and value: Prudent Pet offers three standard plans. The Accident-Only Plan and the Essential Plan each have an annual coverage cap of $10,000. The Essential Plan also provides additional coverage of illnesses and conditions like cancer and hip dysplasia.
Like Figo, Prudent Pet provides reimbursement for lost and stolen pets in addition to burial costs. Nonetheless, Prudent Pet’s coverage is included in the highest tier of its three standard plans, the Ultimate, as a substitute of an add-on option. The Ultimate Plan, which covers accidental emergencies, illnesses, diseases and chronic conditions, also has unlimited coverage caps.
Veterinary exams and consultation fees related to diagnosing a problem or disease are only available with Prudent Pet through an optional package that will cost about $9 extra monthly for residents of Richmond. An optional wellness package that gives reimbursements for routine exams and vet visits is on the market with per-item coverage limits of $210, $315 or $460 for a further $12 to $30 monthly in Richmond.
Listed here are the typical prices we received for the Essential Plan for adult mixed-breed pets in Richmond with a $250 deductible and 80% reimbursement rate:
- Dogs: $48.97 monthly
- Cats: $23.82 monthly
To learn more: Prudent Pet Pet Insurance review
Get a quote: For a free quote, take Prudent Pets’ quick online survey.
Coverage and value: ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has two standard plans: Accident-Only and Complete Coverage. Accident-Only is essentially the most basic option, providing coverage for medical costs related to injuries resembling bite wounds, torn ligaments and broken bones. Complete Coverage includes the whole lot within the Accident-Only Plan and adds illnesses and customary conditions resembling behavioral disorders, cancer and hip dysplasia.
ASPCA offers two optional wellness plans for preventive care: Basic and Preventative Prime. The fundamental plan, which costs about $10 extra monthly, can pay as much as $100 per item for routine care like fecal and heartworm tests. The annual coverage cap on the fundamental wellness plan is $250.
Preventative Prime costs a further $25 monthly and covers the whole lot in the fundamental wellness package but additionally includes flea and heartworm prevention and blood and urine testing, amongst other items. The annual reimbursement limit for Preventative Prime is $450.
The estimated cost of accident-only plans for adult mixed-breed dogs and cats in Richmond with a $5,000 coverage cap, 80% reimbursement rate and $250 deductible is as follows:
- Dogs: $13.13 monthly
- Cats: $19.12 monthly
To learn more: ASPCA Pet Health Insurance review
Get a quote: Use ASPCA’s online quote form to find out how much a policy with ASPCA Pet Health Insurance will cost you.
The underside line: Which is one of the best pet insurance company in Virginia?
Should you are searching for added peace of mind regarding your pet’s health and longevity, pet insurance could be a strategy to balance your pet’s ongoing health with the associated fee of veterinary care. While your pet’s needs and your budget will ultimately determine which pet insurance company is best, we recommend Lemonade as our top pick overall. Lemonade generally has reasonably priced rates and many beneficial add-on options, resembling the preventive care package only for pets under two years of age.
In case your pet is well beyond the puppy or kitten stage, it could be value considering Figo or Spot because neither pet insurance company limits coverage based on age. Healthy Paws is a very good option for those searching for basic coverage at a reasonable price.
*Each provider’s monthly cost is predicated on standard policy premiums from quotes we obtained for 4-year-old, medium-size dogs in Richmond, Va.
Kinds of pet insurance coverage
When purchasing for pet insurance policies, there are typically two standard plans — accident-only and accident and illness — and optional preventive care packages.
- Accident only: Accident-only plans provide essentially the most basic coverage of accidental emergencies and injuries but are the most cost-effective pet insurance plan options.
- Accident-and-illness plan: This plan represents more comprehensive coverage but can also be the costlier option. Nonetheless, an accident-and-illness plan will cover you higher against a number of possible issues that might arise together with your pet, including disease and sickness.
- Preventive care: That is an optional add-on that covers wellness-related expenses. It might incentivize you to proactively manage your pet’s health because, depending on the plan and the corporate, preventive care covers the associated fee of things like routine exams and grooming. Do not forget that this preventive care will come at a further monthly cost on top of the usual plan you choose.
Methods to select the proper pet insurance provider
Deciding on a pet insurance company may be overwhelming, so it’s helpful to maintain these critical aspects in mind while purchasing for the proper provider and policy:
- Variety of plan: A basic, less-expensive plan will protect you from the associated fee of any accidental emergencies and related medical care. While it’s the cheaper option, it can not cover any sudden illness or chronic condition your pet develops. A more comprehensive accident-and-illness plan and preventive package is one of the best strategy to help offset nearly all unexpected pet costs which will arise. Recent pet owners will probably want to consider Lemonade for its wellness plan for puppies and kittens, including spaying and neutering coverage.
- Coverage and deductibles: What is roofed under basic and comprehensive plans varies by company, so it is best to read the high-quality print fastidiously. If you’ve gotten an older pet, you’ll also wish to be certain your pet insurance policy doesn’t restrict coverage attributable to age. Firms like Prudent Pet, Healthy Paws, Figo and Spot have unlimited coverage cap options. Be sure you furthermore may select an affordable deductible. A lower deductible means fewer out-of-pocket expenses within the event of an unexpected issue, nevertheless it also means higher monthly pet insurance payments. On the flip side, setting an unrealistic deductible amount might lower your monthly premiums, but it can cost you more should your pet need surgery or hospitalization. It also implies that you might be paying entirely out of pocket for more minor vet costs because those expenses are still lower than your annual deductible amount.
- Waiting periods: Your policy could have to be in place for a certain quantity of time before advantages kick in. The length of the waiting period is determined by the corporate. Healthy Paws has longer waiting periods for certain common conditions, like hip dysplasia, for instance, than a few of its competitors. Similarly, Figo has a six-month waiting period on coverage for hip dysplasia.
Methodology: Our system for rating one of the best pet insurance firms
Our review of pet insurance firms is predicated on in-depth industry research that features reading tons of of customer reviews, simulating the quote and buying process, talking to representatives on the phone to evaluate the shopper service experience and surveying 1,000 dog and cat owners nationwide to find out a very powerful elements of pet insurance coverage. We’ve got scored each provider on a 100-point scale based on those elements.
Listed here are more details about each factor and the way they’re weighted:
- Monthly pricing (25 points): How much each company charges for its pet insurance coverage is a crucial a part of a customer’s decision. The perfect pet insurance firms mix comprehensive coverage and plan options with reasonably priced rates.
- Plans (15 points): The highest pet insurance firms offer accident and illness plans, accident-only plans and wellness or preventive care add-ons to offer customers the choice to decide on a plan that’s best for his or her pet.
- Covered treatments (15 points): With this factor, we scored firms based on the treatments and procedures they cover. Firms with a breadth of included treatments and unique coverages received more points than providers with more standard or general policies.
- Customization options (10 points): Customizing your policy is a invaluable strategy to make sure you only pay for what your pet needs. Providers with more annual-limit, deductible and reimbursement-rate options earned the best scores.
- Customer care (10 points): We scored firms on their website accessibility and overall usability, customer support availability, mobile apps (if any), money-back guarantees and veterinarian telehealth options, awarding points to the insurers with more customer experience offerings.
- Industry status (10 points): To find out each company’s industry status, we reviewed up-to-date rankings and accreditation information from the Higher Business Bureau (BBB) and scored firms on their years of experience within the industry and their state availability.
- Waiting periods (10 points): Firms with shorter accident, illness and orthopedic waiting periods between the sign-up and coverage start date scored higher than firms with longer waiting periods.
- Eligible age (5 points): Some firms don’t offer policies for pets which can be over a certain age. We deducted points from providers which have age limits for covered pets.
We use our rating system to match and contrast each company against key aspects to assist us determine one of the best pet insurance firms within the industry. Moreover, we keep our research up up to now and revisit our reviews frequently.