Should you’ve ever needed to take your cat or dog to the vet, you likely understand just how pricey caring for a beloved pet might be. But being a pet parent doesn’t need to entail a cost-benefit evaluation. Having dog insurance or cat insurance provides peace of mind you could cover your pet’s vet bills throughout its lifetime so long as your animal is eligible for coverage.
Pet insurance is a option to ensure your dog or cat receives the care it deserves without you having to empty your savings on veterinary bills. We on the Home Media Reviews Team have compiled an inventory of the best pet insurance firms through extensive research, including analyzing tons of of customer reviews, conducting consumer surveys and interviewing experts within the industry.
Now we have narrowed that list further to concentrate on those who serve Washington state.
Washington’s 7 Top Pet Insurance Corporations
Take a take a look at the most effective pet insurance providers in Washington:
Coverage and price: Lemonade has a typical pet insurance policy covering accidents and illnesses for which treatments are needed. This policy covers cancer, heart disease, skin conditions, broken bones, hip dysplasia and other illnesses. Nevertheless, like most pet insurance firms, Lemonade won’t pay for medical costs related to any preexisting conditions, dental illnesses, behavioral issues or elective procedures.
Lemonade stands out for its inexpensive preventive take care of puppies and kittens. For an extra $10–$16 per 30 days, the corporate will partially reimburse you for helpful elective procedures similar to spaying or neutering and microchip implantation. It is going to also help offset the price of your latest pet’s often extensive list of required wellness checks, paying for as much as six shots, including three vaccines, in addition to heartworm and blood tests and flea or tick prevention.
We received the next sample quotes from Lemonade for a policy in Spokane, Wash., with a $5,000 annual limit, a $250 deductible and an 80% reimbursement rate:
- Dogs: $27–$54 per 30 days
- Cats: $18–$32 per 30 days
Lemonade is currently involved in a class-action lawsuit regarding its alleged collection and storage of biometric data. Nevertheless, we still consider Lemonade to be a good pet insurance provider. You may read more details in our full Lemonade review.
Get a quote: To get a free quote, complete Lemonade’s quick online questionnaire.
To learn more: Lemonade pet insurance review
Coverage and price: Spot has two plan options: Accident-Only and Accident and Illness. The primary covers a portion of the medical expenses related to issues like broken bones and sprains. The second plan covers all approved accidents, in addition to conditions similar to heart disease, cancer, diabetes, hip dysplasia and behavioral issues.
Like most pet insurance providers, Spot won’t reimburse you for any medical treatments or screenings related to a preexisting condition, nor will it pay for elective procedures.
Spot’s optional preventive care plan provides additional coverage for wellness-related medical care, similar to one annual vet visit, one fecal test, one teeth cleansing and a few vaccinations. Preventive care is offered in two tiers: the Gold Plan, which incorporates a $250 annual limit, and the Platinum Plan, which comes with a $450 annual treatment cap. The added cost per 30 days for these optional plans is roughly $10 and $25, respectively.
We were in a position to get fast online quotes for Spot’s accident-only plans covering adult mixed-breed pets in Spokane. Those quotes — based on an annual coverage cap of $2,500 at a 70% reimbursement rate and with a $250 deductible — are as follows:
- Dogs: $18.17 per 30 days
- Cats: $12.26 per 30 days
Get a quote: For a free fast pet insurance quote, complete Spot’s short online form.
To learn more: Spot Pet Insurance review
Coverage and price: Like most pet insurance firms, Embrace covers procedures related to accidents and illnesses, similar to X-rays and ultrasounds. But the corporate also covers exam fees not typically covered by most other pet insurance firms, provided the exams aren’t related to any preexisting condition.
Embrace provides customers with multiple opportunities to save lots of on their pet insurance coverage. Customers who enroll multiple pet receive a ten% discount on their plans. The corporate also has a 5% military discount and a ten% discount for purchasers who work at an organization enrolled in Embrace’s worker advantages program.
The corporate’s optional Wellness Rewards plan provides preventive care, fully reimbursing your vet costs for routine pet care treatments and procedures, similar to grooming, checkups, spaying or neutering, and microchipping. Wellness Rewards is offered in three annual maximums: $250, $450 and $650.
Average prices for plans that cover adult mixed-breed pets in Spokane are as follows:
- Dogs: $32–$84 per 30 days
- Cats: $12–$63 per 30 days
The costs above are based on a plan with a $5,000 reimbursement limit at an 80% payout rate and a $300 deductible. Prices range from a base plan to a top-tier optional Wellness Rewards plan with an annual maximum of $650.
Get a quote: Fill out Embrace’s questionnaire to learn the way much it will cost to cover your pet.
To learn more: Embrace Pet Insurance review
Coverage and price: ASPCA Pet Health Insurance offers the Accident-Only and Complete Coverage plans. Accident-Only provides partial reimbursements for many medical care related to accidental injuries and emergencies similar to torn ligaments, broken bones, animal bite wounds and cuts. Complete Coverage expands the Accident-Only plan to incorporate illnesses and conditions like hip dysplasia, heart disease and behavioral disorders.
ASPCA has two optional preventive care packages. At slightly below $10 per 30 days, Preventative Basic provides as much as $100 each for wellness-related vet visits, including heartworm and fecal tests, rabies vaccination and dental cleansing, for an annual coverage limit of $250. Preventative Prime is roughly $25 per 30 days and has an annual cap of $450. The Prime plan covers some items not included within the Basic plan, similar to flea or heartworm prevention, urinalysis and a blood test.
The estimated cost for ASPCA Pet Health Insurance policy for mixed-breed adult pets in Spokane are as follows:
- Dogs: $33.17 per 30 days
- Cats: $23.03 per 30 days
Get a quote: Visit ASPCA Pet Health Insurance’s website to start in your free ASPCA quote.
To learn more: ASPCA Pet Health Insurance review
Coverage and price: While most pet insurance providers offer multiple tiered-coverage plans, Healthy Paws has only one which covers accidents and illnesses. Nevertheless, that plan comes with unlimited coverage for treatments, surgeries, medications and other medical expenses.
Healthy Paws doesn’t give customers optional wellness advantages, and the corporate is proscribed in its coverage of hip dysplasia. Pets which can be 6 years or older can’t receive hip dysplasia coverage even when it’s not a preexisting condition. Younger pets can qualify for hip dysplasia coverage through a veterinary exam after 12 months. Healthy Paws also limits its reimbursement level for older dogs and cats (at the very least 8 years old) to 60%.
The typical price range for Healthy Paws coverage of adult mixed-breed pets under 6 years old with a $250 deductible and 80% reimbursement rate in Spokane are as follows:
- Dogs: $41–$79 per 30 days
- Cats: $22–$38 per 30 days
Get a quote: Learn the way much it’s going to cost to cover your pet through Healthy Paws’ online quote form.
To learn more: Healthy Paws Pet Insurance review
Coverage and price: Figo provides coverage through three plans: Essential, Preferred and Ultimate. All plan options cover medical expenses related to latest illnesses and accidents, including diagnostic tests, prescription medications, surgeries and emergency services. Chronic and congenital or hereditary conditions are also included, and Figo will provide knee and hip dysplasia coverage six months after the beginning of your policy. The difference in these policies is the annual coverage cap. Essential has a $5,000 limit, and Preferred comes with a $10,000 limit. The Ultimate Plan doesn’t have a coverage cap.
Optional add-on plans cover wellness-related care like prescription food and routine veterinary exams. For instance, the Extra Care Pack will reimburse you as much as $250 for the cremation and burial of your pet should it pass away. It also offsets the price of lost-pet promoting and reward — in case your pet runs away or is stolen, the Extra Care Pack can pay you as much as $150.
Figo’s Pet Cloud app features virtual vet visits 24/7 in an emergency. The app also provides reminders about ongoing medical care, similar to re-vaccination for rabies, and data about pet-friendly parks, trails and restaurants in your area.
Using Figo’s online quote tool, the prices to cover adult mixed-breed pets in Spokane under the Essential Plan with an 80% reimbursement rate and a $250 deductible are as follows:
- Dogs: $33.34 per 30 days
- Cats: $20.26 per 30 days
Get a quote: For a free quote, complete Figo’s quick survey about your pet and site.
Coverage and price: Prudent Pet has Accident-Only, Essential and Ultimate plans. Because the name suggests, Accident-Only is probably the most basic plan, providing $10,000 of annual coverage to cover injuries and accidents. The Essential Plan has the identical amount of coverage because the Accident-Only Plan but covers illnesses along with accidents.
The Ultimate Plan covers all injuries, accidents and illnesses within the Essential Plan but doesn’t have a coverage cap. The plan will cover the price of lost-pet advertisements and associated reward money in case your pet runs away or is stolen. It is going to also cover the price of replacing your dog or cat. Moreover, this top-tier coverage can pay for cremation and burial fees should your pet pass away.
We received the next estimated price ranges for adult mixed-breed pets in Spokane:
- Dogs: $47–$105 per 30 days
- Cats: $28–$63 per 30 days
The costs quoted above are based on enrollment within the Essential Plan with a $250 deductible and 80% reimbursement rate.
Get a quote: Fill out Prudent Pet’s online form for a free pet insurance quote.
To learn more: Prudent Pet Pet Insurance review
Which is the most effective pet insurance company in Washington?
While the most effective pet insurance company for you may ultimately rely upon where you reside and your pet’s age, size and current health, we recommend Lemonade overall for its inexpensive rates, comprehensive coverage options and wellness plan for puppies and kittens. Spot or Figo could also be good options if you have got an older animal since they don’t exclude pets based on age.
Pet insurance coverage and costs vary by company, so it’s best to get quotes from at the very least three providers and thoroughly review sample plans before making your decision. Be certain that you already know which services are most vital to you and the way much you should spend every month on a pet insurance policy. Also, keep in mind that most pet insurance firms exclude preexisting conditions from coverage.
*Each provider’s monthly cost relies on accident-and-illness policy premiums from quotes we received for 4-year-old, medium-size dogs in Spokane, Wash.
Kinds of Pet Insurance Plans
Although plan specifics vary by company, typically three coverage levels can be found:
- Accident-only: An accident-only plan is probably the most basic coverage option, covering only accidents and injuries. Because of this, it is usually often the least expensive pet insurance plan.
- Accident-and-illness plan: It is best to select this plan should you are searching for comprehensive coverage. Since it is the more comprehensive option, it is usually costlier than accident-only coverage. An accident-and-illness plan won’t only cover accidental injuries like broken bones, but it’s going to also partially reimburse you for common diseases, ailments and conditions like cancer and hip dysplasia.
- Preventive care add-ons: Most pet insurance providers have optional preventive care available at an extra cost. Preventive plans typically provide coverage of wellness-related treatments, medicines and vet visits, including rabies vaccinations, dental cleanings, and flea and tick prevention.
The best way to Select the Right Pet Insurance Provider
If you have got decided pet insurance is a brilliant option to your wallet, the following step is choosing the provider that best meets your pet’s individual needs. While reviewing firms, keep these few key aspects in mind:
- Plan type: It is best to first resolve how comprehensive you wish your pet insurance plan to be. A basic plan covering accidents is an excellent alternative in case your pet in all fairness young and healthy, particularly should you are on a budget. Nevertheless, it’s essential to take into account that you’ll not going find comprehensive coverage after your pet is diagnosed with an illness. An accident-and-illness option — with or without an optional preventive care plan — could be the better option to guard your pet now and in the long run. Lemonade has a comprehensive wellness plan for puppies and kittens which may be attractive to latest pet owners.
- Coverage and deductibles: Rigorously weigh a plan’s coverage cap with the sort and amount of deductible you’ll need to fulfill to begin receiving reimbursements. To do that, attempt to estimate the overall cost of a plan over your pet’s lifetime, quite than on an annual basis, since some providers decrease coverage or increase deductibles for older pets. Probably the most cost-effective option long-term could also be a plan with an infinite coverage limit, like those from Spot, Figo, Healthy Paws and Prudent Pet.
- Waiting periods: Most providers require you to carry a policy for a determined length of time before they may cover certain conditions. Nevertheless, those waiting periods vary, so reading the effective print is critical. For instance, Figo has a six-month waiting period on coverage for hip dysplasia, while Healthy Paws won’t cover that condition until after 12 months and an intensive vet exam. Moreover, Healthy Paws’ waiting period only applies to pets 6 years old or younger.
Methodology: Our system for rating the most effective pet insurance firms
Our review of pet insurance firms relies on in-depth industry research that features reading tons of of customer reviews, simulating the quote and buying process, talking to representatives on the phone to evaluate the shopper service experience and surveying 1,000 dog and cat owners nationwide to find out crucial elements of pet insurance coverage. Now we have scored each provider on a 100-point scale based on those elements.
Listed below are more details about each factor and the way they’re weighted:
- Monthly pricing (25 points): How much each company charges for its pet insurance coverage is a crucial a part of a customer’s decision. The perfect pet insurance firms mix comprehensive coverage and plan options with inexpensive rates.
- Plans (15 points): The highest pet insurance firms offer accident-and-illness plans, accident-only plans and wellness or preventive care add-ons to present customers the choice to decide on a plan that’s best for his or her pet.
- Covered treatments (15 points): With this factor, we scored firms based on the treatments and procedures they cover. Corporations with a breadth of included treatments and unique coverages received more points than providers with more standard or general policies.
- Customization options (10 points): Customizing your policy is a priceless option to make sure you only pay for what your pet needs. Providers with more annual-limit, deductible and reimbursement-rate options earned the very best scores.
- Customer care (10 points): We scored firms on their website accessibility and overall usability, customer support availability, mobile apps (if any), money-back guarantees and veterinarian telehealth options, awarding points to the insurers with more customer experience offerings.
- Industry repute (10 points): To find out each company’s industry repute, we reviewed up-to-date rankings and accreditation information from the Higher Business Bureau (BBB) and scored firms on their years of experience within the industry and their state availability.
- Waiting periods (10 points): Corporations with shorter accident, illness and orthopedic waiting periods between the sign-up and coverage start date scored higher than firms with longer waiting periods.
- Eligible age (5 points): Some firms don’t offer policies for pets which can be over a certain age. We deducted points from providers which have age limits for covered pets.
We use our rating system to check and contrast each company against key aspects to assist us determine the most effective pet insurance firms within the industry. Moreover, we keep our research up up to now and revisit our reviews frequently.