|Coated Therapy||Sickness/Harm Plan||Routine Care|
|Stay vet chat 24/7||✓|
|Spay/neuter||✓ (Plus solely)|
|Most cancers/power situations||✓|
|Enamel cleansing||✓ (Plus solely)|
|Prescription treatment (non take-home)||✓ (solely these in formulary)|
Exams, rehabilitation, and wellness care aren’t lined beneath Odie’s accident and sickness insurance policies. Nevertheless, you possibly can get some protection by including the next choices to your coverage:
- Additional Protection: The additional protection rider will reimburse you for emergency veterinary exams and workplace visits, take-home medicines, and rehabilitative care like bodily remedy, acupuncture, and laser remedy administered by a veterinarian.
- Routine Care: The routine care plan is Odie’s wellness choice. It reimburses you as much as a specific amount for preventative care like tooth cleanings, vaccinations, and wellness exams. Relying on which tier you select (Routine Care or Routine Care Plus), you possibly can stand up to $305 or $535 in annual reimbursement.
Like all different pet insurance firms, Odie has ready durations for accidents and diseases.
For diseases, the ready interval is 14 days, whereas the ready interval for accidents is simply three days.
There may be an exception for cruciate ligament occasions—cruciate ligament situations have a six-month ready interval.
After buying an Odie pet insurance coverage coverage, you may have 30 days from the coverage efficient date to alter your thoughts. Odie will problem you a full refund of all premiums paid so long as you cancel inside 30 days.
After that, you possibly can cancel at any time by sending a written notification through electronic mail, however you will not get a refund of premiums for the time you had been insured.
Odie doesn’t cowl pre-existing or bilateral situations, that means in case your pet had a pre-existing situation affecting a limb, Odie gained’t cowl any future situations affecting the limb on the opposite facet of the physique.
Though Odie’s additional protection plan does cowl prescription medicines, it solely reimburses you for medicines which can be on its formulary. Different medicines should not lined. Additionally, you have to purchase the Additional Care package deal to get take-home treatment lined. Prescription diets and therapy for behavioral points aren’t lined both.
Odie identifies pre-existing situations by taking a look at medical data in your pet from 18 months previous to the coverage efficient date. Circumstances evident throughout that interval—and any that seem throughout the coverage ready durations—are thought-about pre-existing, and any remedies for these situations won’t be lined.
Remember to fastidiously learn the coverage’s phrases and situations and exclusions earlier than buying a coverage, particularly should you personal a breed of pet liable to power illnesses.
When selecting a plan from Odie, you may have three tiers to select from with various annual limits:
- Annual restrict of $5,000
- Annual restrict of $10,000
- Annual restrict of $40,000
For all three plans, reimbursement percentages vary from 70% to 90%, and deductibles vary from $50 to $1,000.
In keeping with Odie, its plans are 15% to 30% cheaper than these supplied by different corporations offering the identical or related protection. We discovered Odie’s premiums to be higher than the trade common, with a median month-to-month premium of $36.68 for its accident and sickness insurance policies (utilizing a median of costs for 3 pet personas—two canine and a cat). However remember that premium prices can range extensively based mostly on the age and breed of your pet, alongside together with your location.
You’ve the choice of including wellness plans and additional protection to your coverage. Routine Care plans begin at $14 monthly, whereas Routine Care Plus plans begin at $23 monthly.
Odie has a multi-pet low cost: While you enroll multiple pet, you’ll get 5% off your premiums.
Odie permits you to get quotes and buy protection fully on-line.
How Premiums Are Set
On the subject of pet insurance coverage premiums, corporations decide your charges based mostly on a number of aspects, together with:
- Pet species: Normally, cats are cheaper to insure than canine.
- Breed: Purebred animals are sometimes costlier to insure than blended breeds, and a few particular breeds are extra expensive as a result of they’re at the next danger of creating sure situations.
- Age: The youthful your pet is whenever you enroll it, the higher. Youthful pets have considerably decrease premiums than older pets, as they usually tend to develop well being points as they age.
- Location: Pet insurance coverage charges can range by state and even by zip code. Normally, people that reside in city areas could have greater premiums attributable to the upper price of veterinary care in that space.
- Advantages: Your premium can be depending on the annual reimbursement restrict, reimbursement proportion, and deductible you select.
Members have 180 days from the therapy date to submit a declare. You may submit your declare by way of the member portal, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or by faxing the claims type to 530-285-4258.
In your preliminary declare, you should have to submit the final 18 months of your pet’s medical data, in addition to your veterinarian’s bill and receipt.
In keeping with Odie, it goals to course of claims inside 5 enterprise days. Reimbursement is issued in the shape of a verify despatched by way of the mail, which you possibly can count on in a single to 2 weeks.
Odie’s buyer help is offered through electronic mail, telephone, or chat. Its customer support group is accessible Monday by way of Friday from 8:00 a.m. till 5:00 p.m. CST. To contact buyer help, electronic mail email@example.com or name (877) 327-0471.
Present policyholders can use the shopper portal to make adjustments to their insurance policies and to entry the 24/7 televet service to speak with a licensed veterinarian and ask questions on their pet’s well being.
Third-Social gathering Rankings
Odie is a pet insurance coverage program, but it surely doesn’t underwrite the insurance coverage insurance policies it sells. As a substitute, its program is run by Norse Specialty Insurance coverage Companies, and its insurance policies are underwritten by Clear Blue Insurance coverage Group.
Clear Blue Insurance coverage Group is a comparatively younger firm that was launched in 2015. It provides property and casualty insurance coverage, and companions with corporations like Odie to underwrite numerous insurance coverage merchandise.
Clear Blue Insurance coverage Group has an A- (Wonderful) monetary energy score from AM Greatest, a credit standing company that evaluates insurance firms. This score exhibits that AM Greatest believes the corporate has a superb potential to satisfy its ongoing insurance coverage obligations.
Odie has zero complaints with the Client Monetary Safety Bureau. It has solely a handful of opinions on Trustpilot, however feedback are typically optimistic. One buyer wrote:
“That is my first time with insurance coverage. Odie has been excellent, very useful, honest, and caring about animals. I might suggest 100% to anybody with pets.”
Pets are thought-about property beneath the legislation, so pet insurance coverage insurance policies are underwritten by property and casualty insurance firms.
Selecting the precise pet insurance coverage firm could be overwhelming. As you consider your choices, be certain that you concentrate on the next variables:
- Fee technique: Normally, pet insurance coverage makes use of a reimbursement mannequin; you’re chargeable for paying in your pet’s care when it’s offered, and the insurance coverage firm will reimburse you for eligible bills. Nevertheless, there are a handful of corporations that provide direct veterinarian funds, so that you don’t must pay the upfront price.
- Exclusions: Coverage coverages and exclusions range by firm, so be certain that you learn coverage paperwork. For instance, some insurance policies gained’t cowl hip dysplasia in canine previous a sure age—no matter when the pet was enrolled in a coverage.
- Care necessities: Some corporations require you to take your pet to the veterinarian no less than every year for wellness and dental exams; in any other case, your claims shall be denied.
- Annual and situation limits: When selecting a plan, think about how a lot care your pet will possible want. Most corporations have annual and lifelong limits, similar to $10,000. Others have per-condition limits, reimbursing solely as much as a specific amount per well being problem.
- Deductibles: Your deductible is how a lot you may have to pay—with out reimbursement—earlier than your insurance coverage firm will begin protecting your pet’s claims. Relying on the corporate, pet insurance coverage deductibles often vary from $0 to $1,000.
- Reimbursement proportion: The reimbursement proportion is how a lot you shall be reimbursed in your pet’s medical bills after reaching your deductible. For instance, say you had a plan with a $500 deductible and 70% reimbursement, and your pet had a $1,000 expense. You’ve to cowl the $500 deductible, then the insurance coverage will reimburse you 70% of the rest. On this state of affairs, you’d obtain $350 in reimbursement.
|Annual Deductible Choices||$50–$1,000||$100, $250, $500||$250, $500, $1,000|
|Reimbursement Share||70%, 80%, 90%||70%, 80%, 90%||90%, 100%|
|Common Declare Turnaround Time||10–15 enterprise days||Not specified||One week plus time for cash to reach|
|Sickness Ready Interval||14 days||14 days||15 days|
|Harm Ready Interval||3 days||2 days||15 days|
|Routine Examination Protection||Add-On||Add-On||Add-On|
|Dental Sickness Protection||Sure||No||No|
|Max Enrollment Age Restrict||None||Restrict applies and will range with pet data||16|
For canine and cat homeowners searching for fundamental protection in opposition to accidents and diseases, Odie supplies inexpensive protection. Those who need protection for routine care, rehabilitation, workplace exams, and different providers could have to buy routine care or additional protection riders, which may add to your month-to-month price. And the dearth of direct deposit for reimbursements could also be a big downside for some.
Our Methodology: How We Overview Pet Insurance coverage Carriers
Investopedia is devoted to offering shoppers with unbiased, complete opinions of pet insurance firms. We rated 25 suppliers and picked up over 2,000 knowledge factors, together with details about plan choices, firm options, and charges and limits, to make sure that our opinions assist customers make knowledgeable selections for his or her pet insurance coverage wants.
Our full pet insurance coverage methodology, together with our knowledge assortment course of and weighted knowledge factors, is accessible for assessment.