In gentle of elevated curiosity in pet birds, MyRightBird, an initiative to encourage accountable pet chicken possession created by the Chicken Enjoyment & Benefit Koalition (BEAK), is rising its efforts to offer precious info for present and potential chicken homeowners alike, together with care sheets for various kinds of birds and a quiz designed to recommend chicken species which may be appropriate with the consumer’s way of life.
MyRightBird pointed to the American Pet Merchandise Affiliation (APPA) 2021-2022 Nationwide Pet House owners Survey, which revealed that 8 p.c of households now have pet birds, with practically half of recent homeowners stating that their resolution to amass a chicken was influenced by the pandemic. Moreover, two-thirds of chicken homeowners are members of gen Z or millennials, with millennials accounting for 45 p.c.
The Nationwide Pet House owners Survey highlighted a number of different statistics concerning chicken possession within the U.S., and pet possession total. Notably, pet possession is on the rise, with 70 p.c of U.S. households having a pet in comparison with 67 p.c the earlier 12 months. As well as, pet homeowners spent extra money on their pets and pet provides, and more and more emphasised the various advantages that pets convey to their lives. Concerning pet birds, the Survey additionally included the next statistics:
- Households that personal birds every have a mean of two.46 birds.
- Fifty-nine p.c of chicken homeowners reported spending extra money on their pets and pet provides over the previous 12 months.
- Chicken homeowners mostly get hold of their pets from a pal or relative, pet superstore, or chicken retailer.
- In comparison with the earlier 12 months’s survey, all pet homeowners reported a rise in shopping for items for his or her pets. Chicken homeowners represented the very best share, with 80 p.c saying they purchase items for his or her pets and spend a mean of $56 per present.
- Chicken homeowners demonstrated a dedication to their pets’ well being: one-fifth mentioned their birds have been on particular diets—in comparison with 10 p.c of canine and cat—and chicken homeowners had the very best share amongst all pet homeowners who reported giving their pets nutritional vitamins or dietary supplements. One quarter purchased chicken meals from their vets, with 22 p.c taking their birds for normal bodily exams.
- Forty-four p.c of chicken homeowners mentioned that model title was very vital when shopping for pet merchandise, with 58 p.c contemplating themselves “very brand-loyal.”
The developments of buying recent pets and spending extra on their well being and well-being might function a approach for pet homeowners to point out their gratitude for the various advantages that pets convey to their lives—notably through the pandemic, when many individuals have been in want of companionship and stress aid, MyRightBird officers mentioned. Chicken homeowners particularly cited the next as a few of the key advantages of getting a pet chicken: birds are enjoyable to look at and have within the family (50 p.c); they supply happiness and emotional assist (56 p.c); companionship and love/affection (45 p.c); and stress aid (62 p.c).