It takes only just a few minutes in extreme heat for pets left in vehicles to suffer health issues, the Nebraska Humane Society said Wednesday.
This week, when temperatures rose, calls about dogs being left in cars increased, said Steve Glandt, the organization’s vp of field operations. Pet owners never should leave their animals unattended in a automobile, Glandt said, even for just a few minutes.
“The temperature can rise quickly and cause serious health issues, including death,” Glandt said. “In the event you see a pet left unattended in a vehicle, call the Nebraska Humane Society at 402-444-7800 and select option one to connect with dispatch.”
Pet owners could be cited for cruelty to animals.
Symptoms of overheating in pets can include excessive panting or difficulty respiratory, increased heart and respiratory rate, drooling, stupor and collapse. Symptoms can also include seizures, bloody diarrhea and vomit together with an elevated body temperature of over 104 degrees.
The newest headlines sent at 4:45 p.m. every day.